|Title:||Electrical Foreman- Maintenance|
|Department:||Brookings Municipal Utilities|
|Job Type:||Full-time / Hourly|
General Statement of DutiesUnder the direct supervision of the Electrical Supervisor, this position is responsible for supervising and coordinating activities of electrical linemen engaged in the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground power lines, substations and other electrical equipment.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs and coordinates electrical linemen and construction personnel in the day to day operation of electrical construction and maintenance of power lines, substations and other electrical work.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems and assists workers in solving problems, interprets specifications, blueprints and job orders to workers.
- Establishes work schedules, assigns work, monitors performance and assures proper procedures are being followed.
- Performs construction and maintenance work, discusses problems with customers to determine cause and performs other electrical work.
- Records and maintains reports and records and order parts and equipment necessary to perform work.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions such as orientation, training and measuring job performance.
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of assigned vehicle and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum QualificationsTo perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Graduation from vocational/technical school in power line studies preferred.
- Employee must have completed an electrical apprenticeship program and considered an Electric Journeyman Lineman.
- Employee must possess knowledge of electrical systems, electrical theory and the operation of equipment used in repairing or building electric power systems.
- Employee must possess mechanical aptitude.
- Employee must possess the ability to supervise and direct personnel, plan and organize work, review and analyze data and work situations.
- Employee must possess knowledge, skills and abilities to read and interpret blueprints and schematics, evaluate information to make decisions or recommendations, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with Utility employees, officials, and the public.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple to complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbally.
Certification, Testing and Examination
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Possession or the ability to obtain a South Dakota Class A CDL with air breaks license within 60 days of hire.
- Other such testing as deemed necessary by Brookings Municipal Utilities / Swiftel.
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; speak; hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, or crawl.
- Required to actively listen and communicate with supervisor, peers and customers.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision and peripheral vision.
- Excellent hand/eye coordination is required for this position.
- Employee is occasionally required to lift, carry, and push/pull up to 70lbs.
Work EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Position involves regular contact with other employees and members of the public.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal with occasional exposure to loud noise levels.
Typical Performance RequirementsThe performance standards described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee performing the essential functions of this position. These are largely based on industry standards for the position.
- Employee is expected to meet performance standards communicated by the supervisor.
- Employee is required to adhere to the guidelines presented in the Personnel Policy Manual, Part-time Employee Handbook or Seasonal Employee Handbook.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign the duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.