|Title:||Electrical Maintenance Supervisor|
|Department:||Brookings Municipal Utilities|
|Job Type:||Full-time / Salary|
Job Title: Electrical Maintenance Supervisor
Reports To: Utility Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Wage Scale Designation: M-12
General Statement of Duties
This position is responsible for performing administrative and field work in planning, directing, supervising, and coordinating the maintenance of the Utility electrical systems. Analyzes the distribution system to assess its condition and plan for future needs. Analyzes the electric maintenance system to assess its condition and plan for future needs.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and directs activities of workers engaged in the maintenance of the Utility electrical systems to include maintenance electricians, lineman, utility inventory, and SCADA personnel.
- Establishes work procedures, schedules, assigns work, and monitors performance.
- Reviews field or customer reports on electrical systems and examines performances.
- Ascertains where changes can be made in system and recommends adjustments to be made.
- Monitors and maintains records of major system equipment items and schedules their regular maintenance.
- Studies new developments and maintains a current knowledge of electrical products.
- Assists in the development and layout of transmission and distribution lines and distribution substations.
- Assists in the preparation of drawings and prepares bid specifications for equipment and materials to be used in construction and equipment installation.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget and electrical rate schedule.
- Establishes, monitors and evaluates the appropriate procedures and equipment required for locating underground distribution lines and faults.
- Directs the maintenance and proper operation of the signal and street lighting systems.
- Provides supervision over metering, SCADA, inventory, dispatch, locating and operations customer service support.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions such as hiring, orientation, training, promoting and termination of workers.
- Interviews vendor, determines products to be used, and obtains price quotations on items to be purchased for the electrical system.
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of assigned vehicle and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Graduation from vocational/technical school preferred.
- Completion of an electrical apprenticeship program and considered an Electric Journeyman Lineman preferred.
- Employee must possess knowledge of electrical systems, electrical theory, SCADA operations, substation automation, power quality issues, and the operation of equipment used in repairing or building electric power systems.
- Employee must possess mechanical aptitude.
- Employee must possess knowledge of or the ability to learn the laws and regulations governing the operation of the electrical system.
- Employee must possess the ability to supervise and direct personnel, plan and organize work, review and analyze data and work situations.
- Employee must possess knowledge, skills and abilities to read and interpret blueprints and schematics, evaluate information to make decisions or recommendations, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with Utility employees, officials, and the public.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple to complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbally.
Certification, Testing and Examination
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Other such testing as deemed necessary by Brookings Municipal Utilities / Swiftel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; speak; hear; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch, or crawl.
- Required to actively listen and communicate with supervisor, peers and customers.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently in an indoor office environment with occasional exposure to outside weather conditions.
- Normal indoor conditions of heat, humidity and dust.
- Position involves regular contact with other employees and members of the public.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal with occasional exposure to loud noise levels.
Typical Performance Requirements
The performance standards described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee performing the essential functions of this position. These are largely based on industry standards for the position.
- Employee is expected to meet performance standards communicated by the supervisor.
- Employee is required to adhere to the guidelines presented in the Personnel Policy Manual, Part-time Employee Handbook or Seasonal Employee Handbook.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign the duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.